We want everyone who calls Riv their home to be a part of what we’re trusting God to do through us over the next two years. As a community, we will each pray, plan, and commit to a new level of giving. While this is an individual commitment between each of us and God alone, it also helps us collectively plan on how we are going to love God and love people in our community. This isn’t just about money. It’s about the Riv family reaching individuals with the saving message of Jesus.
We are never to give because we feel like someone is twisting our arm but because we want to respond to God’s generosity to us. But giving in a truly sacrificial way means we will have to make changes and that takes wisdom. It’s a good thing that Scripture has promised, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” (James 1:5) Here are some more verses to pray through:
- Proverbs 3:9-10
- Proverbs 11:24-25
- Matthew 6:19-34
As you pray, ask God to help you love God and love people with your finances.
Sit down with your budget (you should have one) and see where your giving currently sits in relationship with everything from your coffee budget to your rent. Work through (with your spouse if you are married) how you want to take your giving to the next level and what the next step might look like. Here are some ideas that may get you going:
- If you have never given before, take that first step and give. (Maybe even jump online to rivchurch.com/give and do it while you are planning).
- If you are an occasional giver, make this the season where giving becomes a regular habit.
- If you are already committed to giving a certain percentage of your income (perhaps 1%, 5%, or 10%), consider bumping it up a percentage.
- If you are already committed to giving a certain amount, consider an incremental increase.
- If you know you are getting a raise (or bonus) this year, commit in advance the portion of that increase you want to give.
For the first time ever, we are asking everybody who calls Riv home to let us know what they are planning on giving. This is a commitment between you and God alone but it also helps us to plan on how we are going to love God and love people in our community. This isn’t about money. It’s about reaching people with the saving message of Jesus.
All of this praying, planning, and committing doesn’t mean anything if we don’t actually give. We strongly advise everyone to use our online giving page and to set up a regular auto-withdrawal. You can also use our giving kiosks in the lobby or give in the red buckets each week. If you give in a way that we can track (envelope, check, electronically), we will keep you informed on your giving on a quarterly basis.